Google
 

Mar 3, 2007

in favor of self-destructive behavior

I was at a party where everyone was smoking but me. As I was driving home I started to think,
"Why do people purposely do things that seem to undermine themselves and their own efforts? When people smoke, spend money frivolously, or even hurt themselves. Or when people just live very unhealthy lives, why?"

We often think, "What idiots!"

But, self destructive behavior (SDB) makes sense...

We know the contradictions involved in just living. SDB is a manifestation of that contradiction. It is the human coming to terms with the non-living part of themselves. The part that has to deal with the universal law that all clocks run down. The part that says, "if i want to let go and accept the laws of the universe, the laws that want to pull the very energy that give me life apart, then I have to accept the strings that hold my life together will sometime come undone..."

SDB is logical on some level...I think there is a better way to embracing the laws of the universe, but SDB is not 'logic'd' out. It just emerges...but why it emerges now makes sense to me...
 
Locations of visitors to this page