Google
 

Mar 31, 2007

the human experiment

This is a story regarding Halle Berry's close call with suicide. I have to admit, I read the article because I saw how hot she looked. But after reading it, I realized how we all go through hard times, even super hot stars like Halle. I thought of Anna Nicole Smith. I thought of the 'downside' of stardom. How we, as the public and society, essentially dehumanize these people to products. How they become idealized and how this affects them and their lives. We often look at one aspect of their lives and think of how great it must be. I for one, would never want such a life. Is is absurd how the public and people talk about the stars and their lives? Perhaps, it gives us all a chance to discuss 'the human experience' and gives us all a common denominator. We can all relate to these stars on one level or another. So in that sense, pop culture, ties us all together with a human link. Even if they are, to many of us, a product...

The following story is from here:

Halle Berry came close to committing suicide after the failure of her marriage to baseball star David Justice, but changed her mind at the last minute, fearing her death would leave her mother heartbroken.

The Oscar-winning actress was so depressed after the relationship collapsed in 1997, she started the process of poisoning herself with carbon monoxide in her car.

It took an image of her mother Judith finding her body to stop her.

Berry tells Parade magazine, "I was sitting in my car, and I knew the gas was coming, when I had an image of my mother finding me.

"She sacrificed so much for her children, and to end my life would be an incredibly selfish thing to do. It was all about a relationship. My sense of worth was so low. I had to reprogram myself to see the good in me. Because someone didn't love me didn't mean I was unlovable. I promised myself I would never be a coward again."]

 
Locations of visitors to this page