Google
 

Apr 13, 2007

low wattage, high return

Ran hits on an interesting idea of energy, money and quality of life. And the link between each. Jeff Vail touches on it from another level. More societal.

It makes sense that energy is of utmost importance to us. Since we harnessed energy in its purest form, fire, we have been hooked with no going back. Sure we can abuse energy, just as we can anything else. But it is vital for humans and our society.

I think the idea of linking quality of life with energy usage is brilliant. That should be in the general matrix of how well a society is run. Right up there with interest rates, economic growth and infant mortality.

When I apply it to my own personal finances, getting rid of my car will free up a lot of energy I have tied up in my personal energy budget. From the money that is in the car, to the insurance to the gas used to run the car. Just the emotional energy I put into worrying about the car being towed.
 
Locations of visitors to this page