Google
 

Apr 28, 2007

i am going to have a dream

I once was a lifeguard. It was perhaps the best job I have ever had. I could workout on the clock. Stay in shape. Be outside. And have fun. It truly was a great time of my life.

During one of our 'poolside philosophy' sessions I asked a fellow guard, “What's your dream?”

We are always told in movies and songs to 'have a dream'. To 'never let go of your dreams'.

And I agree. But what is a dream of ours? Are they just fleeting ideas that happen to be a little less fleeting than others?

Where do we dream up these dreams? Are they just unrealistic expectations we have of our life? Or are dreams something very real to nurture and develop?

They give us a purpose. That's pretty important.

Can dreams be dangerous?

Think of the dream of the 'Third Reich'!

AT the time of my 'poolside chat' I really didn't have a dream. I was running on a day to day whimsical cycle that was strung together by a plan created from a societal -hard wired- flight chart that mapped what I was supposed to be doing at that stage in my life. And, believe it or not, it worked well. It was a great time of my life.

But I have nonetheless continued to develop my ideas of my dream. And I do have a dream. But more importantly I have several dreams. Different sizes of dreams and compartments of dreams.

One dream, or idea, I have relates to this blog. I dream of creating a non-profit someday, that develops the concepts of self, experience and role within society that is independent of your job. A internet based center than provides a base of support and identity when one is without a job, which is a major source of self-identity in our society. When a person is between jobs, they are always on their way to getting another job. Very infrequently do they stay in that position. I want to freeze frame and stretch those moments out and give people the time to fully explore that opportunity before they have to 'rejob'. Because this is the time when dreams are born.


Or, sometimes...a time when dreams die...

A job serves its purpose. It provides, obviously, society with services that are needed. It provides individuals with cash flow, structure and a sense of purpose. But everything has a cost, and the cost of a job, that a person must accept, to a certain degree, is the identity the job gives him or her. That's the price we pay. Sometimes the price we pay is a forgotten dream.

Any role or responsibility has the potential of 'robbing us of our dreams.' Anything that is greater than oneself presents that potential, whether it is being a lifeguard, a religious follower, a parent or a little league coach. Any role we play can ultimately 'become us'.

The motivation for picking our role, is what interests me however. I want to lessen the societal pressure in terms of identity that motivates people to return to the workforce for identity.

A dream is made up of a lot of 'dreamlets'. One dreamlet of this idea is to provide a forum for people to discuss ideas as well as learn about finances. To feel more empowered even without a job.

I want to create relationships through an organization that provides identity and lessens that societal pressure. A center that supports people in exploring their individuality through writing and creative pursuits. A center whose mission springs from each individual instead of being crafted and then handed down and shaping the ideas of its members, this organization will learn from the people it supports.

That's one of my many dreams....

 
Locations of visitors to this page