Google
 

Jan 21, 2007

institutionalized purpose

I know I want freedom. Free Time. Free thoughts. Freedom to travel. Freedom in my relationships...I know how I would spend that time. I know I would have purpose in my day. Even if that day was spent lying about pondering lying about and what lying about means. I find purpose in my thoughts alone.

And there's freedom in that...

Have you heard people say things such as:

"Sure it's nice to lay around for a week. But then I start getting bored and I can't wait to go back to work."

I find this thought so interesting.

Work, in my mind, is a means to an end. A way to generate the resources to not have to work. To explore your soul.

To many people it has become a defining purpose for their lives. In this case, and in my opinion, work has become counterproductive to the individual.

Most people want a job they can lose themselves in. A job that captivates and interests them such that the day 'flies by' and they have no recollection that they just spend eight hours of their day doing a specified task for money. Or it so challenges them that they spend another four hours past quitting time working on that case or finishing up that brief. But in the end, if work is a distraction, when work ends...what do they have? Have they grown?

I prefer to actually realize I am working. To say to myself, "This is not bad. I realize what I am doing. I acknowledge what I am giving up. What I am gaining. And, if I am lucky, that my efforts are contributing to a 'right livelihood'"

In short, I want my work to feel like work. I am seeing it with my eyes open and saying, "I accept this fate. And I am growing my purpose and exploring my soul through it."
 
Locations of visitors to this page